In March 27, a campaigning was hold all over the world. It is called “Earth Hour”. In this campaigning people all over the world turned off the light from 8:30 to 9:30. The activity’s purpose is to remind people to pay attention to protecting the environment.
I was glad to join in the “earth hour” and we turned off the light in our dorm and stayed in darkness in an hour. However during this hour, I changed my opinion, why we announce people to pay attention the environment in the way to turn off the light? It may be the most foolish way!
In my opinion, light has a vast range of positive and inspirational associations: civilization, truth, health, intelligence, safety, hope, life and salvation. Those opposing action on climate change understand this well and frequently use images of electric light at night in their publicity as a metaphor for excitement, civilization, and progress.
So it is hard to think of any image more destructive to our cause than turning off lights. The metaphors of darkness are overwhelmingly negative: danger, decay, and death. We see the dark ages as a time of brutality. Does the Earth Hour’s purpose is to ask people to sit in the dark plays very well to a widely held prejudice that "the greens" want us all to go back to living in caves?
At the same time, darkness will not actually reduce any emissions. Power companies always keep spare capacity and will keep their turbines spinning through this unpredictable fall in demand in preparation for when people turn their lights back on again.
The overwhelming need at the moment is to inspire ordinary people with a vision of a better world, to make us feel that action on climate change is utterly desirable and positive instead of bringing darkness to us!
Maybe for the environmentalist, they should have a better way to do their announcement.
I remembered that Eton Hall also turned of the lights of dinning hall for one hour. I was surfing the Internet then, so I could only typing by the light from the screen. I totally felt that how unconvenient it would be if the world is in dark. Moreover, the Earth Hour is not enough, we should exert every effort to protect our earth. Let's start now!
ReplyDeleteI think the earth hour can raise our awareness for protecting the environment. I know it may work a little, but now it is a way to draw people's attention, isn't it?
ReplyDelete