Be a Teacher
Recently, MOE(ministry of education) hosted a program called “GIVE”, aiming at enhancing the mutual communication between us scholars and the local schools. I thought it was a good opportunity to improve myself, so I enrolled in it. Finally, my name appeared on the list.
After some negotiation with the officer, I was assigned to teach Chinese chess in Queenstown Secondary School. Later we had a conversation with the representative, Mr. Wang. Mr. Wang treated us quite kindly. He didn’t require us to behave as professional teachers. What we should care about was how to show ourselves confidently in class.
Even though he said so, I still made serious and careful preparation for my lecture. Searching from immense information online and selecting those useful and valuable contents meant tough work. What’s more, to enhance my skills of chess, I deliberately played chess every day. On the eve of the very day, I did not sleep well because of potential excitement an anxiety.
My companion and me set out at 6:50, when most of the boarders in Eton Hall were dreaming. We arrived at the school at 7:20. Subsequently the students would assemble for flag rising. Their tidy uniforms recalled my vivid memory of my senior times. The national flag rise up slowly. I was touched by the picture; however, I could never go back to my young age.
When it came to 9:00, I entered my classroom. About 20 students casted curious eyes on me, which immediately released my anxiety. Confidence and guts filled my mind. “Hello!” a boy greeted me. “你好” another little lovely girl… some happiness surrounded my body.
At beginning because the laptop went wrong, I met some difficulties. The problem solved, my class commenced! Firstly I gave a self-introduction to them. For the sake of attracting their attention, I showed my photos taken when I was a kid. Immediately they pointed me with smiles on each face. Then I taught them the names of the chessmen. “Ding…” the bell rang. My first class was over.
Looking backwards to the details, many important points skipped away for my careless. Also, my gestures had fewer effects than expected. I would definitely work hard to solve the problems later on.
Thursday, April 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
To be a good teacher needs abundant experience. This is your first time to enter a classroom as a teacher. I think you have done a good job because you have courage and you have well prepared it. I believe you will do better next time. More power to you! O(∩_∩)O~
ReplyDeleteIt is an exciting experience to teach in Singapore. I think being with the pure children can also make us become simple and young. Happy to hear about your teaching experience. The teaching hasn't finished, go go come on come on.
ReplyDeleteCongratulation! It is really an exciting thing to become a teacher at local school and I am sure it will be a precious memory for you!
ReplyDeleteAs you said, this experience had reminded you of the vivid memory of your senior high school life and I feel really happy for you!
Learning from your experience, you can do much better next time!