Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Violet: Fairy-tale Eyes

     In the movie Rain Man, what impressed me most was one of Charlie's conversion with his girl friend:
     "What happened to him (rain man) ?"
     "Nothing, I just grew up!"
      To my great sadness, such words must have been a profound time and humanist tragedy. How could we become so cynical about the world! How could we become so indifferent towards those who love you!
      When I was young, seeing my mother bargaining with packmen on the street over seveal cents, I always looked down upon her behavior, saying that she was so snobbish and mean. At that time, I thought such a few cents do not deserve spending such a long time bargaining. Mom would replied, "You are still so young that you cannot understand the great effort it takes to earn every single penny." I  turned around my head, "I do not care. If a man needs to care about every single coin, how tired he would be! Why not live a life without worrying about the secular chores?"
     Maybe this was where my fairy-tale world outlook developed. Although so many people around have laughed at my thoughts, although so many things have proved that my thoughts were only supposed to exist in the storybook, I still insist that we should and can get rid of secular life. What's more, in my subconscious, I tend to ignore or pay little attention to the chores in daily life, such as forgetting to  picking up our clothes in the laundry when it is my turn, whereas my roommate can remind me. I am always so surprised how he could remember so many trivial chores and how he could focus on other important affairs! In the end, all I could think out is the conclusion that his values and views towards life are different from mine, rather than his brain works differently from mine.
     On the other hand, however, why have we developed such different values and views? I think it is closely related to our natural instincts. Maybe the moment I was born, I was destined to possess a pair of fairy-tale eyes, in which the world can be perfect and romantic, like in fairy tales. On the contrary, he must be more realistic and mature, compared to my idealism and immaturity.
     We really can not tell which one is better between these two different kinds of natural instincts, but at least I think I am very happy and lucky to possess a fairy-tale view of the world. Maybe this kind of view is like the violets growing sparsely in the dark valley, always looking at the sunside of the valley and imaging the beautiful, perfect world outside the vally, even though their chance of interapersing the world into a perfect place is very little, even though their ability of embellishing the world is so trivial.
  

4 comments:

  1. My first attempt to put this kind of feeling into the form of words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should say after reading your blog, I have a stronger feeling of life. Everyone in the world has a different attitude towards life. Someone may be optimistic while some may be pessimistic. No matter what attitude people have, I just want they can live happier. We are supposed to live happier, aren't we? Leave all the worrying chores behind and just live simply. I think we will have a happier life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the perspective of diversity, every individual is unique.Because of various kinds of people, the world itself becomes meaningful and colourful. I admire your concentration on the important things. For me, there is a tremendous amount of things to think about. Maybe, I can learn something from your feelings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will, honestly speaking, I find we have so many similarities!
    I am always wondering why others could manage their lives well but I always forget to fetch clothes, to sign in, to buy one new shampoo or sometimes even forget to eat! I always think about changing myself but it is really hard for me. Now I am starting to treasure my way of living. I prefer to spend my energy on the things i like than on daily chores.
    I like to view the world in the fairy-tale eyes,too. Though sometimes I may doubt myself whether I am too immature, I find if this kind of attitude can make me happy why I need to change it and always try to find the dark aspect of the world?
    Just stick to your own style and be happy!
    Every style of life is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete