Monday, March 29, 2010

Turn off the light, light up the world

For a Chinese scholar who has lived in Singapore for 3 months, the night of March 27, 2010 impressed me deeply. “Excuse me, could you please turn off the light tonight from 8:30pm to 9:30pm?” a girl lived in our hostel knocked at the door and asked me with a pleasant voice. ”oh, it is must for the Earth Hour! Thanks for your reminder.” After closed the door and turned off the light, the whole room was in an unusual darkness and silence. I was in the dorm alone and turned off all the electronic devices. Opened the window and watched out, only the lights of running cars on the expressway sparkled in the darkness. Leaned on the window, I did enjoy the moment standing quietly as the slight wind blowing.

“Is that people all over the world are turning off the lights like me?” ”Is the whole word in silent at this moment?” I was kind of proud of myself to be a member to join the Earth Hour. As the lights dimmed, leaving only the bright moon showing off its glory in the sky. In retrospect to my childhood, I usually sleep on the top floor with my grandparents and the curtain of night was covered with stars shinning bright. When I got older and moved back to the downtown to live with my parents, all that outside of my window was colorful lights and noises of cars. I had never got the chance to enjoy the calmness of the real night since then.

I am always confused about that whether the high speed of the technique development really helps human build a word which is more comfortable for people to live and brings happiness to us. Under the shinning lights and the busy streets, people who live in the high race of the modern society hardly get the chance to enjoy the nature for a real relax. People are puzzled by the gorgeous appearance of the material life, however, only to ponder quiet and calmly can we find the real feelings from our inner space. The advanced technology do improve our living standard, however, lead to many problems vice versa. The Earth Hour was initiated in Sydney in 2007. In this year, eight of ten largest cities in the world are part of Earth Hour, and also 56 national capitals. This phenomenon shows that the Earth Hour become a huge global event, the awareness of save the energy and protect the environment for many people.

I am glad to see the news that people all over the word took part in the Earth Hour including China. Hundreds of people turned off the lights at the same time. Suddenly, the earth calm down and fall silent. Turn off the lights, and light up the world, for the hope of peace and the friendly environment, for the calmness through enjoy the nature.

2 comments:

  1. To some degree,in my eyes,the EH seems meaningless. Taking Eton Hall as an example, the lights are never turned off when we are sleeping, in other words, they keep shinning for about 10 hours a day.Compared with the extreme waste, EH contributes nothing. As a Host Community member, could you please advise aunties turning them off in midnight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I forgot that activity on that day. It is you blog that calls me up. Fortunately, so many people are aware of the importance of the earth. Definitely, I will join them and protect our own earth together.

    ReplyDelete