Friday, March 12, 2010

my attitude towards gender roles

A man with strong wills and tough characters is generally viewed more attractive than a man who is sensitive and likely to show their feelings. Why is it? We may find some clues in movies. Those male characters in movies are so capable that nothing is impossible to them. They are role models whom every young boy admires, so youngsters all want to be those heroes when they grow up. They all want to be tough and strong just like those role models.
To be honest, I myself was one of them and this is what we learned since our childhood. Sometimes it is very stressful to be a “real man”, to be a tough guy who doesn’t get along with vulnerability. However, it may become more stressful if I don’t show masculinity. I will feel guilty as if I have done something wrong; I will feel less confident because of the preconceived perception that I should be that kind of person. Now I know it is how stereotyping works. During the process of my growing up, stereotype has been deeply rooted in my heart and fundamentally shaped my character. Those stereotypes have become part of me that can not be dispelled easily. Fortunately, they don’t tamper too much with my development. I just hope everyone can live up to their ideals and be what they want to be.

2 comments:

  1. in my opinion, stereotypes are not totally wrong. men and women should play their own roles.
    though some sissy boys and tomboys are exist. they can not, and should not change the roles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has his own choice. respecting it means respecting human rights.

    ReplyDelete