Saturday, March 27, 2010

TMD English

Having learnt English in this bridging course for more than three months, I think it’s time for me to make a small sum-up and plan for my further English study.

Here are things that I found in Phase One:
1.Words that are not used regularly will be forgotten easily. When I look at my word journal one day, I found out most of the remembered words became new words again. It is like you made a friend last night but you can’t even recognize him this morning. I think the most effective way to remember a word is to remember it in the context---by reading. However, here comes another problem. A single word may have many meanings, but you can only remember one meaning in one context. Therefore, next time you encounter the word again in another context, you may find out that you cannot interpret its exact meaning here.
2.Another tragedy is I cannot express myself easily. I used to think it was due to a lack of vocabulary. Now, I prefer to say that I am not familiar with the word I have learned by now. English is a tool, the more you use it, and the more familiar you are with it.
3.Whenever I am not in a good mood, I turn on the laptop and watch movies or TV series. I find it interesting that at first you may need the Chinese and English captions to help. But in the end you can leave out all the captions and depend on your two ears. After you finish your movie, you will find it is natural to communicate in English. Most importantly, you will have the desire to speak English.
4.Learn with a partner (opposite gender) you like. It is more effective as long as you do not focus on the person but your study. Once a female classmate asked me a word about which I also had no idea. I looked it up in the dictionary and remember it in my deep heart and I still remember the word up till this moment. I think maybe this is the magic of partner- learning.

Well, in Phase Two I will insist on my own method and focus more on expressing myself. I will not be afraid to give my opinions. English is just a tool for communication. As long as I can express what I want, as long as one can understand what I say, it means I have mastered the language.

TMD English, I enjoy it! O(∩_∩)O

1 comment:

  1. That is My Darling? Hehe, perhaps i can perceive the letters like this. to tell the truth, your skills is above me,especially at the aspect of speaking. so i must catch up with you.^^
    you said a female could assist with your english, really? i be really curious about who she is~~~~~

    ReplyDelete