It is a special note, not because it is of the biggest par value I received in the money collection activity today, but the fact that it contains a positive and selfless attitude towards life.
I can never forget the scene when I asked a young American lady if she would like to donate for the disabled, she said yes without hesitation. More significantly, there was a smiling face. Then she opened her purse, as my eyes followed her hands, I saw there was only one note in her purse, a $50 note. She took the note out, folded four times and squeezed it into the money-collect tin narrowly, of course, with a sweet smile. “You are so generous!” I praised her sincerely; in fact, I was kind of shocked by her behavior. To my great surprise, she looked at me with a pair of curious eye, as if I had done something wrong. I did not realize the meaning of her eyes until I came back to Eton Hall lying on bed, thinking of it for a long time. “Have a nice day!” she said then went away, before I could show my thankfulness. I stood there, trying to recall all that happened just now; it was only in a few seconds that the kind lady performed her behavior and gave me something really valuable to think about.
Compared with those so-called gentlemen, those so-called rich people, she is so outstanding. I noticed the great embarrassment appeared on those faces when people did not want to take out their change and put it in the tin—such a simple thing. I also observed the uneasiness of them when they donated the money to keep their face. However, there were also people like that lady who donated with a pure heart to help.
As for the curious eyes, I think the only reason that I could think out is due to a great difference in understanding the act of donation. Donating is not a matter of generosity, but a matter of the will of dedication. It is not the amount of money that counts, but the attitude and desire.
What about myself? I can still remember that I have refused to donate several times, which I feel a great regret to have done so. Perhaps it is due to the situation of society of China and the bad impact it left on me. Who knows? All in all, I think I have to change. Thanks to the young lady, thank you.
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am happy that we share the same feelings. The money collection activity really served us a different experience. We greeted different people and their various behavious, which help us to get a deeper thingking about the attitude towards life and the value of ourselves.
ReplyDeleteSome passerby were very kind and they donated their money to the disabled people. Some smiled at me to show their respect and encouragement. It was such an unforgetable experience!
It was one of the most meaningful activities I have ever had!From this special afternoon, I learnt a lot;the awareness of social responsibility,the thankful thought to the people around...
ReplyDeleteI am really envious that you have met such a different lady.Of course I think, those who have kind hearts a all angels!
kind people are everywhere no matter what race they are and where they come from
ReplyDeleteKindness is not just a donation, but the efforts or feelings that you want others happy, I think.
ReplyDeleteMaybe we will experience the feeling of being asked to donate money for the same activity one day. Then how much will we donate?
ReplyDelete