We usually go out to visit other families during the Spring Festival and it always adds color and fun to our dull routine life. Every time we pay a visit, we can exchange our gifts, have a nice meal and get pocket money. The most important is that it is indeed a relaxing and interesting thing for visiting. However, what happened has changed when a visit is paid in Singapore, because of the differences in customs and culture.
During our Spring Festival’s vocation, our host family invited Florence and I to have a meal with them. As soon as I heard the news, excitement and happiness filled up my heart. It was really a fantastic thing to spend the vocation with a local family. It has been said that “on festive occasions more than ever one thinks of his dear ones far away”, so I didn’t want myself to be trapped in homesickness and loneliness when the Spring Festival came. But later, I became confused and feared, for I didn’t know what to bring to their house and how to behave properly. As a result, I asked aunties for advice and learned something about it in the end.
On the second day of the new year, we set off. We brought some cookies and sweet with us and specially, we each prepared two oranges, for it is a custom to exchange oranges during the Spring Festival in Singapore.
The moment I arrived at their house, my heart beat faster than before. I felt a bit nervous and excited. We said “ happy new year ” to them when the door opened. And then, every family member turned out and shook hands with us while saying “ happy new year ” at the same time. I was very happy to receive a warm welcome and gave a big smile in return. Later, they received our gifts and invited us to enter their house. However, what surprised me was that they didn’t prepare any slippers for us but let us to be barefooted! If we make guests barefoot, it shows unrespect in China. So I felt a little embarrassed and uneasy. But we are in Singapore now so I reminded myself to be open and accept and respect the customs and culture here.
We went in silently and carefully, not making any noise. On the way we saw the hostess opening our gifts. We looked at each other with a puzzled face. We used not to open gifts in front of the guests, so it was strange to us.
Then we were asked to have dinner. On the dinner table, there was a bowl on a plate, a cup, a fork on the left, a spoon on the right while another on the top and a handkerchief. It was a typical western table-setting. But I was afraid that I didn’t know how to use them. So I observed the hostess carefully and followed her steps to do whatever like her. Finally, she seemed to know that we were not familiar with these and taught us one by one. After her explanation, we had a nice meal together though the flavor of their dishes was different.
After the meal, our trip ended. Of course, we each received two oranges and a red pocket. When I left their house, I took a deep breath and felt more relaxed. It was really an exciting and nervous visit which was different from any other visits I paid in China. However, I experienced and enjoyed it. What’s more, I learned something about the customs and culture in Singapore. This was an impressive cross-cultural visit.
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yeah,we went there together and had a lot of fun.I experienced the generous and friendly attitude toward us.I will treasure it.
ReplyDeleteyes, maybe we will be in different faculty. but now, we are group 7, we are friends...
ReplyDeleteIt sounds good. My host family is also warm-hearted and teach me a lot.
ReplyDelete