Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dpa Flag Day

This is the first time I took part in such kind of activities. However, lack of experience doesn’t weaken my confidence in doing things well. As the ancient saying goes, it’s always hard at the beginning. At first, I tried to convince people so I begin my talk like this:”hello, I am a volunteer from disabled people’s association…”but later on I found that it seems people didn’t have patience to hear you out and most of them understood what you were doing, so I just cut my speech short:”hello, would you like donate some money for disabled people?” and it worked well.
Another thing I found is that what you said does not matter, what you act matters the most. Sometimes you even don’t have to speak anything, you just look at them and smile, and some warm-hearted people would come to you and donate money. Indeed smile can greatly increase the chance to get a donation. If I check out the factors for the success to get donations, smile would definitely be a powerful weapon.
This activity also offered me a chance to observe people. From their facial expressions and pace of walk, I got a glimpse of their mood. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but it seems that a person in a good mood is more generous than those who are not.
At the end of the activity, if someone can get a full tin of donations, he\she would be the happiest person of the day. Although I didn’t harvest that much, I also achieved a fruitful day. A day of work brought me a sense of fulfillment and I strengthen my belief that works for others could make my life more meaningful.

2 comments:

  1. when we helped the disabled to raise money, we also helped ourselves get the meaningful and memorable experience.
    during money-collection time, i gained some knowledge on how to raise money effectively as well, and i prefer to share it with you in our spare time. i think the most skilled one in doing this must be Kongjia, maybe we can ask her to tell us the secrets to raise two full tins of money successfully.
    in fact, i think all of us have done a good job, we should be proud of ourselves!
    next time, if there is a chance, i will not hesitate to sign up for it. what about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I like the sound when the coins drop down to the tin although they are not mine. Frankly, I think our tiredness and exhaustion reward a lot to us.

    ReplyDelete