Imagining this: one day you wake up and find you are in a different planet, and the “people” there are different from you, what will you do? As we all know, it is not easy to live in a different country, especially a country has different political system and social value; and Singapore is such a country for us Chinese newcomers.
Many Singapore people are Christian while our Chinese are free-thinkers; so sometimes it is a little embarrassed when talk about religion, because they may try to persuade us to believe Jesus. I still remember the Christmas Eve when we were taken to the hall to see a performance, which was held by City Harvest. At first, I was interested in everything I saw for this special night, for example the drama, the actors and the friendly Christians. However, when it came to orison, my view changed. Seeing everyone (except Chinese students) stood up and prayed fanatically. The words they spoke out couldn’t be understood by me, and somebody even pray with tears; I feel surprised with all of the things and am even a little afraid of them. When everything came to an end, the girl sitting beside me asked, “Have you felt the god?” “Sorry, I didn’t; I felt afraid.” After saying this, both of us feel embarrassed. Sometimes, I feel impolite to tell them that I am not ready to let god come into my mind, or never. I feel it is too sensitive to talk about religion, but there is always someone who tries to persuade us to join them.
Maybe it is not easy to live in a multicultural country; what I need is a little more time and tolerance to adapt to it.
After write:
I think I need to add something after my blog. I write this article, but it doesn’t mean that I am afraid or even dislike Christians. I am curious about the story in the Holy Bible and I have a great respect to Jesus Chris. I am only a little tired because I don’t know how to refuse these Christians time and time again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
While we are in such situation,what should we do? Just as you said,"no,thank you."insisting on your own mind is ok.
ReplyDeleteEnn^^ I find it difficult to reject it but I really have to reject it. In essence, the christians are somewhat kind since they gave us a lot of help and brought us much fun at the beginning. But their mad way surprised me strongly. We have the freedom of beliefs. We may understand it better some day. We'd better avoid it now.
ReplyDeleteHehe, as a christian myself,i have to say that you don not have to be so worried like this!What they want to do is just share what they think is good to you. If you don't agree with them, just go to tell them your own feelings.
ReplyDeleteIn fact,a local had invited me to join them for several times.However, I don't like the church here.I prefer to traditional ones which are quiet and holy.So I told her about my feelings and she understood me right away.From then on,we were still good friends and sometimes had dinner or talked about bibble together,but she didn't invite me to be a member of them anymore.
So, don't warry just tell them what you think in a sincere way.I am sure you will be understood!
well, my roommates and i are also in the same situation. on the one hand, we are afraid that if we have a meal or hang out with the local christians, they will ask us to join them and be a christian; on the other hand,we are too shy to refuse their invitation, such a tough problem~~
ReplyDeletehowever,after looking through kangjia's comment, i think we should express our intention to them before we join their activities, that is, we want to be free-thinkers and are not ready to accept the god, but we want to make friends with you guys and we cherish the friendship between us. in this way, i think, you can enjoy staying with them and will not be afraid. yes, we want pure firendship, but not friendship with religion in it.
GOOD LUCK!
Sometimes the Christians' act may disturb our daily life, but I believe that they are all kind person and do these things for a good purpose. One of the purpose of us to study abroad is to feel the different culture. Maybe you do not want to take part in them, but you can try to know them. As our tutor said, we should widen our eye sight. Take this as the first step.o(∩_∩)o ~~
ReplyDeleteI still remember one sentence in the BEFRIENDERS' T-shirt:"god-jehovah concern those vagrant" they think god will help us, so they introduce their god to us. personally, i think RU(created by KongZi) can also be treated as a generalized religion. chinese people are all affected by RU...
ReplyDeleteIn the multicultural country, we can't avoid the possibility of having different opinion on the region. I think we can just have our own opinion and be ourselves. Nobody says we must have the same view as them. Everyone has his right to speak.
ReplyDeleteSometimes, learning to say "no" is more important. Just believe in what is reflected in your deep mind, and step out your own special way~~
ReplyDelete