Thursday, May 27, 2010

What I Acquired in This English Bridging Course

As I have said before, looking back contributes to our betterment and helps us know ourselves. The course has nearly come to an end, and it also comes to the time when I should review the distance I covered.

So, what did I do during the course?
1. I did memorize a leaking basket of new words as many of my classmates did.
2. I joined in a club called TOASTMASTER and introduced it to my classmates. Well, by the way, I really liked it. Perhaps the only thing I learned there was how to overcome fear and develop confidence when doing public speaking. Sometimes I doubt that if I hadn’t joined the club, whether I would be brave enough to ask questions in class. I used to be a shy person; it is TOASTERMASTER that helped me speak English aloud.
3. I got to know what a presentation was like and I did it almost once a week. The first several times, I prepared it carefully to meet the requirements of the tutors, while the last few ones were done according to my own preferences.
4. As for essays, all of us wrote many. The highest mark I got was in the first essay. And then none came out with a mark above 70. What I found interesting was that when I wrote an essay elaborately, it usually scored less that those I wrote carelessly. I tried to get more than 70 in the last two essays, but it was really a tragedy that I failed. I was not sad, though.
5. I was once monitor of our group and stepped down one month before the end of the course. I don’t think I was a successful monitor, but I did something I considered valuable. I once gave suggestions to Mr. Jega to divide the break into three parts; hence we could end our class five minutes earlier. He refused me with many good reasons, and I found out that this experienced tutor was thoughtful. Through several talks, I found him a kind, serious person. Perhaps there was a lack of understanding between the class and such an amiable man. Next thing I did was changing the oral reports into impromptu speeches. I thought it was more challenging than an oral report, at least for me. And it seemed that we did not have to do preparation for oral reports anymore. Good or bad, I hope we all benefit from it. Also, there were many things not worth to mention. I have to say that the BBQ was one of the most impressive class activities I ever had in my life, one good reason for that is due to the heavy rain and bad arrangement I did. Well, as the saying goes: it is the human’s work to make plans, while it is the God’s job to decide whether it works as planned. The BBQ ran totally out of plan, and I felt awfully sorry for my classmates. I do hope the sun will company us in the following class activities.
6. The only thing I appreciated most was that I always got a very good sleep at noon, even at the cost of being late for class for half an hour. Frankly speaking, I was sorry for the tutors, but I didn’t regret it since “sleep well, work well”.
7. I often took a walk in the woods during the break. I liked the gentle breeze and shadow of trees. I could see birds, wild cats, butterflies and mosquitoes which liked me much more than I liked them, therefore I donated much blood to the tiny creature.

Seven things might be enough to make my English course colorful. I am kind of reluctant to leave. Oh! There is another thing I keep doing during the course; that is writing blogs. I never wrote one which was related to our SM, but all of the blogs speaks for my heart, they are something related to my life, reflecting my immature thoughts. I suggest that we could still write blogs in the future when we are undergraduates, we could share news we care about, something interesting we find in our study and our emotions, either happiness or sadness. Because looking through the blogs will remind us that once we studied under the same roof, once we had a BBQ right after a heavy rain, once we competed in a story-telling competition, once we walked back to Eton Hall together, once we saw a movie called Pay It Forward which shocked our hearts, once we suffered from the same listening practice…… Furthermore, it reminds us that we are a family from the moment we stepped into the classroom together.

5 comments:

  1. We have spent about five beautiful months together. We treasured the time we have spent. I remembered we had three monitors. You are all good. I am sure that everyone have seen your efforts to the class. In the bridging course, we not only improved our English, we gained a deep friendship. Just from the numbers of the people who came for our class get-together, we can see that our class is united. We are a whole. Not far away, we will have our oral presentation 2 and post test. I think everyone will have good preparetions for them. Hope your best performances!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We are a family from the moment we stepped into the classroom together". This sentence almost makes me cry. Yes, we are a family. Every time I think back, I would be surprised by destiny, which puts us together. We used to be strangers and live in different cities thousands of miles from each other, but now we are a family who have spent half a year together. How amazing!
    This short bridging course has left many precious memories, of our group, of you. I still remember the time when we walked home together. We told jokes and laughed loudly all the way home; we appreciated the landscape and little creatures together. It was the most happy time in my life. I still remember we sat on the sofa of Eton Hall and discussed how to organize a group activity. I still remember that afternoon when i looked for you everywhere; the class had begun but you were sleeping somewhere...I still remember we went to VIVO to buy things for the class. You worried about dinner all the way home...I still remember what you said about my first blog. You said you had found some errors...
    These are all precious memories which I will treasure forever. Although I am an immature girl who always speaks without thinking first, who always smiles silly without reason, I hope I have ever brought happiness to you all and I hope you all like me. Best wishes~

    ReplyDelete
  3. How time flies, at the beginning I wish to skip this class quickly. However, as time attaches to the end of the class, I really treasure evertday in the class. Take a active part in the class and listen to the tutors' are the things I try to do. These happy days, I will not delete in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a long blog, however, it is very interesting and impressive. I was in a trance after reading your summary of our bridging course. Something happened during this period of time may last in our memory forever. I may never forget your first presentation in TOASTMASTER, and also my table talk at the first visit; I may never forget the beautiful scenery along the way we walk back to Eton Hall; I may never forget the unexpected 18th birthday party; I may never forget every group meeting our 5 gathered together......

    It is time to say good bye to our bridging course, however, we will never say bye to our dear classmates. Maybe, in the future, every time pass by the small tutorial room in SOC, we will recall the beautiful days we spent together. After the last days, we will spread out over the different faculties. However, please promise, be my friend forever,ok?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What i learn from the SM3 course is that never listen to Seniors... Once we get lazy, we never work hard again..

    ReplyDelete